What is a Federally Qualified Community Health Center?
A federally qualified community health center is a non-profit organization that receives federal grants from the Health Resources and Services Administration Bureau of Primary Health Care. They include all organizations receiving grants under Section 330 of the Public Health Service Act.

Who can come to Bassett Family Practice/Ridgeway Family Health?
Everyone is welcome at both health centers regardless of age, insurance status, race and ethnicity, or ability to pay.

What services do your health centers have?

Basic (Primary) Health Care
Routine office visits for illness
Integrated Behavioral Health
Annual physical exams
Medication Assistance
Chronic disease management
Immunizations & Vaccinations
Lab Services
Sports Physicals
DOT Physicals
Children’s Health Services
Case Management for Services

Are your health centers just for those without insurance?
Absolutely not. We accept and file with most major medical insurances as well as Medicare and Medicaid.

What if I don’t have insurance or cannot afford my co-pays?
We offer a sliding fee scale based on income and family size. All patients may apply; no patient will be denied medical treatment because of an inability to pay.


What is the Health Connect Center?
The Health Connect Center is a “one-stop shop” for those in MHC who need help breaking through barriers to health and wellness.
Where is the Health Connect Center?
The Health Connect Center is located in Uptown Martinsville, at 56 W. Church St; directly across from the Municipal Building. 
Does the Health Connect Center offer medical care?
No, but it connects people who have needs related to health care with information and the proper agencies.
What services/programs are offered at the Health Connect Center?
Ladies First – community breast health initiative that helps to increase access to mammography services for local, uninsured men and women.
MedAssist – helps eligible residents access affordable prescription medications.
Eyes Forward – this program is a partnership with local optometry practices to help people with diabetes get annual eye exams. 

MedAssist is available at Bassett Family Practice (for patients of BFP) and for Ridgeway Family Health (for patients of RFH); in Uptown Martinsville at the Health Connect Center and in Patrick County at the Caring Hearts Free Clinic.  
Who is eligible for medication assistance?
You must meet the eligibility requirements of having no prescription drug coverage and have a low to moderate income. See ELIGIBILITY for more information.
How does the program work?
A caseworker will help you complete the application process. After approval from the pharmaceutical company, medication will be delivered in 4-6 weeks.
How much does it cost?
There is usually a low handling fee of $5 for each medication picked up (usually a 90 day supply) that is charged by the pharmacy

What information will I need to bring?
When you come to meet with one of our medication assistance caseworkers you will need to bring:

1. Photo ID if you have one
2. Social security card
3. Medicare or other insurance cards
4. Proof of income
5. Federal tax documents from previous year or be prepared to sign a waiver if not filing anymore
6. Name and strength of any current medication and how often it’s taken (best to get a list from your pharmacy)

Please be advised however, that any individual seeking medication assistance should CALL first to make sure that he/she qualifies. If your physician does not participate in our program, your income is over the income guidelines, your medications are not available to us or you have ANY insurance other than Medicare, you will not qualify.


What are the locations for your aerobics classes?
Wesley Memorial, The Community Fellowship, Spencer-Penn Centre, the Irisburg Ruritan Building, the Martinsville YMCA and Druid Hills.

How do I sign up for your aerobics classes?
Simply show up to the class and location of choice and fill out the paperwork.

Can I bring my kids to aerobics?
Our aerobics classes are considered a family program. Kids are always welcome in our classes as long as they are participating and are accompanied by their parents at all times.

Is there a fee for any of the classes?
No. All of our classes are FREE!

Why do I have to fill out the paperwork for your classes?
We are grant funded and must ensure that our programs meet certain guidelines in order to continue to receive grant money and continue the programs. It also helps for us to have an idea of the number of participants we have coming to our classes and the success that participants are having.